Monday, November 26, 2012

I'm Back! Well sorta.

















I've recently acquired two Foleos in 'As-Is/Untested' condition. After playing with them for awhile I've come to the conclusion that one battery is shot and the other is nearly there. One is stuck in a reset loop. It powers up and shows the black screen with a small orange palm logo. The logo is then joined by a small white 'loading bar' that, upon filling, disappears along with the Palm logo only for the Palm logo to return by itself. This loop continues. I did remember reading a reset hard button combo but can't seem to find it in all my old documentation. The other Foleo has a curious loading screen showing some type of boot info. "Welcome to MacGuffin !! MacGuffin EVT2 Board " is displayed along with many lines indicating a boot. The problem is it loops after trying to start the kernel. It does allow the list of commands upon interrupting the autoboot and the help command shows a list of other commands. None of the commands that it lists and that I've tried remedy the problem though. I'll play with them for a while. I still have all my old software saved including a copy of my CF card which my old Foleo would run from. If I could get one of these to boot from my CF card it might fix some issues. One of my issues I had while I used my old Foleo was the fear of not being able to fix any hardware problems that may have developed. If anything, I could help out a fellow Foleo owner or two with that.

5 comments:

Nate said...

Welcome back!

Wow. I can't believe I left this subscription in Google Reader all these years.

UnwiredBen said...

The EVT2 may be old enough to be on a 800x480 screen instead of the final 1024x600. I don't think the batteries changed any between that rev and later ones.

UnwiredBen said...

BTW, if you can't get the kernel booting, you won't be able to boot from CF card. We had code to rewrite the kernel in NAND from a CF or SD, but if the kernel was hosed, then you had to use hardware JTAG to rewrite things. Final SW won't work on a 800x480 device, as that lacks the 2700G GPU chip.

scoutcamper said...

As a fellow Foleo Owner(i have 2, both Production)i have to ask, where can i get these foleo apps from?

Anonymous said...

Hi Ixle,

I am just wondering why you are reluctant to share the Foleo apps you have? Palm is gone now, and I reckon the few Foleo owners of us that there are would really appreciate it if you felt able to pass on copies of your software. I would love a copy of the mDayscape apps, for example, and would happily donate to a charity of your choice in goodwill! I hope you feel now is the time to share.... :-) Please mail me jpollat@gmail.com